Regarding Web Hosting...
As a web developer and systems administrator, I did extensive research before choosing a web hosting company for myself, my friends, and my clients. As any tech person knows, all web hosting companies are not created equal... without root access, you are limited to what their software and hardware can and cannot do. After much wasted time and frustration with other hosters, I finally found one that is the closest thing to having my own server.
Here are just some of the deciding factors that were critical to me from a technical point of view...
- Host Monster gives you unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth
- You can host unlimited domains under the same hosting account.
- You get your own php.ini file and can, therefore, define your own include path and any settings you need.
- You have full control of the .htaccess files.
- They use cPanel as the Control Panel and keep it up to date.
- You even get SSH shell access, remote ODBC access to the databases, and SSL secure server.
- The phpMyAdmin is fully functional and fast, unlike some hosts I won't mention.
- You get 100 MySQL databases along with unlimited mailboxes and aliases.
- You can set the size of your mailboxes to whatever size you want.
- Host Monster is fastidious about keeping their software versions up-to-date, which means security is optimized.
- You can actually speak with a knowledgable tech support person in the US, rather than India or the Philippines - on a 24/7 toll free number too! Wait times are minimal.
- You get free domain registration for one year for the main account; additional domains are $13.99 per year.
- They own their own accredited domain registrar, FastDomains, so you can manage all your domains under the same account as your hosting with only one password to remember.
Host Monster blows all other shared hosting companies away, hands down. What more could a techie ask? I think these guys are the best and I highly recommend them. Host Monster rocks! I believe in them so much that I became an affiliate. The $65 affiliate fee I earn helps offset the time I spend setting up my clients' accounts (for which I do not get paid). So it is a win-win-win.